The Many Benefits of Concrete Flooring
In former times, the homeowner would shy away from concrete flooring, thinking it more suitable for a warehouse floor than the living room, but with innovative finishes and a wide spectrum of colours, concrete makes for the ideal flooring material for any home. A layer of screed can be added, which not only gives a smooth finish, it also contains a special fibre, which makes the floor more durable and offers more impact resistance and is fire resistant too. If you are thinking of renovating and are looking at flooring possibilities, here are just some of the reasons why homeowners are turning to concrete for the perfect flooring.
- Affordability – In times of rising costs, a concrete floor is very affordable, especially when compared to hardwood or tiles, and with a ready mixed delivery that can be poured onto the prepared area, you’ll be hard pushed to find a more economical way to achieve a durable and long-lasting surface that will give you many years of trouble-free use. Many people opt for a layer of screed on top, as this really does give you a smooth finish, and it won’t break the bank. If you happen to be looking for levelling screed in Birmingham, there is one supplier who is happy to advise a customer about type and finish.
- Unlimited Colour Choices – Grey can often look good in a domestic setting, but with modern concrete, you can literally choose any colour or shade you want. The colouring is added during the initial mixing, and the supplier would have a colour chart not dissimilar to a paint chart, and in the event you would like a slightly different shade, anything is possible.
- Underfloor Heating – There is nothing worse than walking across a cold concrete floor in the middle of winter, and modern underfloor heating systems are available today. One can have a wet system, which pumps hot water through a network of thin piping that is just under the surface, or a dry system that comprises of an electrical mesh, which is also set just under the surface. Whether you choose a wet or dry system, the cost is minimal, yet the benefits of underfloor heating in the UK are obviously worth the extra cost.
- Stylish Finishes – Using special hand trowels, it is possible to create unique patterns in your flooring, and with ready mixed concrete that contains a retardant, you have more time to work the concrete before it finally sets. Polished concrete really does add a touch of panache to any room, and if you would like to know more about finishing options, your local supplier would be only too happy to show you some of the finishes you can have with concrete.
- Stand the Test of Time – A concrete floor will certainly last for many years, and with fibre added to the mix, the flooring will bond tightly and offers a higher level of impact resistance. Modern concrete does not crack, and with some steel mesh reinforcement, larger expanses will remain durable for a lot longer than most other materials.
Whatever your taste, there are concrete flooring solutions that offer the homeowner real value for money, and with a simple online search, you will soon be in touch with a local supplier of ready mixed concrete.