5 Things To Consider When Repacing Your Roof
Replacing the roof of your house is a major decision for anyone and it is one that shouldn’t be taken lightly. There are a number of options open to you, but which one is right and which one gets you the best bang for your dollar. In Australia we encounter all sorts of weather from very cold to very hot, and Perth experiences both of these. We also get occasional heavy storms that take their toll on our homes and roofs. When it comes to replacing your roof, there are some things you need to consider.
- Re-roofing – You can consider the option of re-roofing where the new shingles go over the old one. This can definitely save you money but it will present additional problems as well. Re-roofing may actually affect the life span of the new shingles in a negative way. Heat builds up between them and there are problems with retained moisture. This is probably not a good idea and you should look for other options.
- Get It Measured – To ensure that you correctly budget yourself when roofing in Perth, get your chosen roofing contractor to measure your roof correctly for you. This is a service local roofing firm’s offer in the area, and they should provide you with an estimate, based on the correct number of sheets of roofing you need. Once you have the estimated number, you can start to think about what kind of tile you want and what colour and design.
- Ventilation – One basic element that will insure a long lasting roof is to make sure that there is proper ventilation. Good ventilation can regulate the temperatures in your roof space or attic, so that in the Summer, it is cooler, and in the Winter, it will stop the moisture from building up. Ask your roofing contractor about the kinds of venting that are offered.
- Not Just Tiles – Getting your roof repaired isn’t all about the tiles. It’s about the wood and sealant under them too. Putting new tiles over an unsuitable base is the wrong way to go, and will cost you heavily in the long run. Also, once repaired, regular checks are encouraged to protect your home for many years to come. It’s important to know what tile or roof covering to choose, in relation to its performance with strong winds and storms. Wind speeds in Perth can get right up there, so insure your roof can handle it.
- Choose Correctly – Be sure to get a roofing contractor who knows what they are doing. In the Perth area there are a number of reputable contractors who will offer you a free roof inspection to check if there is any need for work to be done up there. If they charge you for this service, you should just walk away and look for a firm that does it for free. The internet is your friend, so use it to find testimonials from satisfied customers and go look at other houses who have used the same firm.
With a little bit of groundwork, you will find the right company for your roofing needs. Remember, this is your home, so take care of it, for your future and that of your family.